Monday, January 17, 2011

Another funny encounter with airport security

A colleague and I were traveling to a mine site for a visit. My colleague was checking in some oversize baggage (more equipment) and it failed the explosive trace test, no biggy these things occasionally get false positives as do most diagnostic equipment but it failed a second time.
Now they only give you three go's before they slap the cuffs on you so my mate was getting pretty nervous at this stage. The guy doing the testing called over his supervisor as well as a couple of federal police (which was funny for me standing waiting but not for my mate). They opened the casing and swabbed the items inside and the inside of the container and luckily it passed.
Now working where we do on the mine site there is a slim possibility of getting traces of explosives on you but for my mate it was simply the case of some spilt coke o cola on the case. Funnily enough it was showing up as RDX on the test.
So the moral of the story is be prepared for delays if you coat your luggage in coke. He did clean it off well which surprised us because its a plastic case.

3 comments:

  1. Thats funny! I will try not to pack Coke in my luggage next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi
    Just letting you know that I am awarding you the 'versatile blogging award'. To accept this award you have to do a couple of things. (Or don’t, I don’t really care, lol)
    *Thank the person who gave you the award and link back to them in your post.
    *Tell us 7 things about yourself
    *Pass this award onto 15 newly discovered bloggers. (I just found 15 I really like)
    Here’s my post if you want to see it
    http://themotherexperiment.blogspot.com/2011/04/versatile-bloggers-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does that turn you off from drinking coke? The fact that there is something in there that was causing the explosive detector test to throw up two false positives.

    ReplyDelete